3/22/11

Lights, Camera, Action!

Guess what I did this morning...I was an extra on the taping of an episode of a show for the Food Network.  I know, how cool is that?  It was a lot of fun.  Something I will probably never do again.  Knowing this was a one time thing, I went out of my way to be able to make this opportunity happen.  That means I had to shuffle my kiddos around to some pretty great friends.  The "Mini's" got to their prearranged destinations so they could catch the rides to school they needed.  Then I was on my way! 

First I got there and had to fill out a release form.  Gotta love the paperwork!  Then I stood outside for a long time.  If you have spent much time with me, you will know I hardly ever wear a coat.  I hate lugging a big bulky coat around. I was not expecting to wait outside while they did various background taping of the resturant and the owners. 

Finally, we got inside.  My friend and I were sat at a table.  This was not a place I would have eaten on an average day.  In fact, I've driven past many times and never once thought about going in.  We were given several menus and where told to order from the lunch or dinner menu.   I settled on Chicken Cordon Bleu  with a loaded baked potato and a side salad.  The salad was good.  My biggest pet peeve at a resturant is when they place a salad in front of me that is all iceberg lettuce.  There is no nutritional value in iceberg, so I don't want to be bothered with eating iceberg.  Today this was not the case so we were off to a good start. 

Then my dinner (I ate for lunch) came.  Right away, I knew I didn't want it.  The menu said it had a mushroom sauce.  The chicken on my plate was smoothered with gravy.  I HATE gravy.  And then the baked potato I was so excited to eat turned out to not be a baked potato.  It was like a twice baked potato.  Yuk and Yuk! 

The good news in all of this, is that we were being taped for the "before" part of the episode.  Tomorrow night they will be taping for the "after".  AFTER they make LOTS of changes in the decor and as well as to the menu. Our server was really great.  She was very nice and attentive.  I was very disappointed in the food but I didn't have to pay for my meal so there was nothing lost.  

I had a great time with a  friend, I got to see how a TV show is taped, and I was even interviewed on my experience.  I am anxious to see if I make the cut.  I'm not sure.  I few times I looked at the camera which is a no-no.  Oh well, sometime this summer I will get to see the episode on TV with everyone else.  Not a great dining experience for me but a fun way to spend my Tuesday morning. 


2 comments :

  1. What a fun opportunity; too bad you did not enjoy the meal. Make sure you let us know when they will be airing the show so we can watch it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Dawn! I guess you can't say the name of the restaraunt at this point, right?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished