4/3/11

Commercials work.

I am an advertiser's dream.  Ever since I was a small child, jingles would stay with me and as my mom and I would go through stores, random jingles would pop out of my mouth.  I remember very clearly going through the grocery store and smacking myself on the forehead as I passed the V8 jiuce saying, "I should have had a V8!".  Now, as an adult, I am still very likely to by a product or brand because I have seen or heard on a commercial recently.

Things have not changed so much over the past few decades.  You've gotta love TV commercials from Thanksgiving through Christmas.  If your house is like mine (and I'm sure it is), during every other commercial, one of the "Mini's" is asking, "Can I have that for Christmas?  Mommy, can I?" 

A commercial will come on for some As Seen On TV product and my son (who is so thoughtful) usually turns to me and says, "Mommy, don't you want one of them?"  I remember the first several times my oldest saw the commercial for the Perfect Pancake Maker.  With very wide eyes he turned to me and said, "Mommy, we need one of those!"  This of course was followed by earnest requests for the Big Top Cupcake Maker.  And of course, "if you order in the next 10 mins, we'll send you a second on free!".   This special offer makes it almost too hard to pass up, right?  You can't miss out on such a great deal, I mean, they are practically giving it away (insert sarcasm here).    

It's always fun to see the world through the eyes of a child.  If the TV says it is the best, it is the best.  Not all advertising has become a joke.  I'm only poking fun at As Seen On TV commercials.  While advertising has changed over the years, it certainly is very effective.  I'm not sure which gets better result, advertising or word of mouth.  It probably depends on what you are buying.  Either way, advertising works.

What do you think?  Have a funny story? 

1 comment :

Blog Design by Get Polished