5/13/11

Is It My Turn Already?

I realize that reading is not a fun activity for everyone. Personally, I did not like to read until I was in eighth grade. My mom couldn't even get me to read comic strips for entertainment. Now, reading is one of my favorite things to do when I get a minute to myself.

I spend a lot of time sitting in waiting rooms. What do most people bring to pass the time while they wait? A book! I really enjoy talking about books that I've read. Often when I am waiting my turn, I strike up a conversation with a fellow "wait-er" about a book that one of us is reading. The fun thing about these conversations is that for a few minutes, I've made a connection with someone I will likely never see again.
A great icebreaker is, "Are you reading _____?" or "I see you are reading _______, I've heard about that.". Simple statements like these usually lead to a sharing of favorite books and authors, etc. The best times are when you discover that you have both read the same book. Then you can talk about the book without giving away any spoilers.

Talking with a fellow reader is like being a part of a club. You have a similar interest in reading books. It doesn't matter if you've read the same books. Most avid readers love to share books they have read and feel others would enjoy. This is a great way to find new books to read.

You may think to yourself that you are just fine playing a game on your phone, texting a friend, flipping through a magazine or reading the book you brought to pass the time. You have no desire to talk to a stranger. There is nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. But for me, assuming I don't have any kiddos with me, I love having 'grown up' talk about this favorite pastime. Usually this chatter gets going and time flies by. Before you know it, one of you has been called to move to the next place of waiting. This brief connection is over. It was fun while it lasted. Not only has my need of social interaction with an adult been met but if I'm lucky, I leave with a few new books in mind to read in the near future.   :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished