5/3/11

Things I Would Do Differently

I don't think I really have regrets and for that I feel very blessed. At 34, I don't look back with regret, but there are a few things I would do differently. The difference may be subtle, but I believe there is a difference.
1. I would be more serious about learning to play the piano. I would spend my time practicing and learning how to read music. I was in 8th and 9th grade when I took lessons. Playing songs about A Bug In A Rug was embarrassing but if I had worked harder when I had the opportunity, I would be able to play a beautiful instrument.

2. I would have had more fun in college. I studied all the time. I worked very hard and took my studies very seriously. I graduated with honors to show for all my efforts. I'm not sorry I worked so hard. I just wish I had given my achievement focused side a break and had more fun. I'm sure there is a good balance put there, I just missed it. Instead I took things too seriously, did well, graduated, subbed in the local schools for a few years and then became a stay at home mom.

3. I wish I had held my babies more. Recently it has struck me how big my Mini's have gotten. My youngest goes to kindergarden this Fall. When they were small, I was so concerned of creating a habit I would then have to break so I made sure I didn't have to hold them all the time. Don't get me wrong. I held them. Loved them. Snuggled and rocked them. But I also put them down. In the swing, bouncy seat and on a blanket on the floor. They were not forgotten or neglected. I talked to them constantly. Looking back I just wish I could hold my babies a few more times. They are growing into great kids. The snuggles and kisses are getting less frequent so I have decided to pay attention to each act of affection.

These are not regrets. Just a few things that I would do differently if given the chance. I guess what I have been learning about myself is that I don't have to take life so seriously. I will always be responsible and I'm learning to have fun too!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished