6/1/11

Technology makes me nervous

Technology makes me nervous. I know. Sounds funny coming from a girl who is never without her iPhone and writes a blog. But it's true. Once I get used to something, I'm fine. It's the unknown that is scary.

For example, I am going to a concert this weekend. As much as I love music, I don't get toany concerts these days. I am so excited to go to the concert. But I don't have physical tickets to hold. I was FedEx'd these two sheets of paper with directions to use them. Why couldn't they just print off two paper tickets? If is a saving paper issue, they are actually wasting paper they sent me three full sheets of paper when you could probably print at least 4 tickets from one 8 1/2 x 11 piece of cardstock or whatever paper they use for tickets. Meanwhile, for the rest of this week, a little part of me will worry that I will get to the arena and be denied entrance :(

A final example that I will be facing very soon involves flying. I haven't flown in about 6 yrs. and I'm okay with that. I'm not a big fan of flying but I will do it. I was shocked to see what it would cost for my husband and I to fly out to see my sister graduate from her Residency Program. So now, not only am I flying, but I am flying alone. As if that isn't enough to have me nervous, my hubby informs me that things have changed since I last flew. Again, no physical tickets to carry in. I think I have to check in at some electronic station as if I am placing my deli order at my grocery store. I am so nervous about this whole process. I am looking forward to the quiet time that I will have throughout my travels but I do not want to deal with this electronic check in.

Oh well. I guess I have to put on my big girl panties and just get through these to events. I will and then I will be less unsettled the next time around. I love the technology I have already embraced in fact, I can't imagine my life without my iPhone. I just need to change how I look at these upcoming events and call them "new adventures". Maybe that will help me catch up with the times with a little less stress, haha!

Is there any new technology that you have been slow to include in your life? Please share so I don't feel so old before my time ;)

1 comment :

  1. You want to get really freaked out by technology you need to watch Transcendent Man. It's a documentary on Netflix. It covers the opinion of Ray Kurzweil that in about 20-30 years computers and humans will merge. He has alot of info that really gets me believing he could be right. We have progressed so rapidly in the last 50-60 years. Computers that cost millions of dollars and took up entire buildings now fit in the palm of our hands. It is cool and amazing, but when you start to think about it, it gets scary. Imagine that your brain is now hooked up to the internet. The whole world, all of it's people and knowledge is now just a blink of an eye away. How awesome that would feel. But then that connection gets shut off, your alone again. How alone you would feel.

    Then Kurtzweil takes it further. Computers will becomes conscious. Computers will not need our input, computers will grow beyond our human limitations. If you have seen the Matrix or the Terminator or the many other movies like this know how bad this could turn out.

    The world of technology is so much fun, makes our lives so much easier, and puts the whole world on a small screen in my living room. I love it. But what is next? Can the World handle it?

    June 1, 2011 5:08 PM

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished