7/7/11

Exercise Through the Stages

I've mentioned before my success with weight loss. This is something that I work at every day, even now, six years after I hit my goal weight. That will never change. What did change from the time before I lost the weight, is my attitude towards exercise.

It may surprise you that I have always hated to exercise. I didn't really play sports growing up and I never enjoyed a unit in gym class...ever!

Exercise was something that I started to do when I was serious enough about controlling my weight. I had to get to that place where I was ready to do what it took to meet my goals.

Slowly...sometimes almost painfully slow, I saw a change in how I approached my exercise. First, it was something I had to do. It's good for me. I will burn calories. And the sooner I start, the sooner I get finished.

Then, I saw my body change. When this happened, I HAD to keep exercising. It was amazing. There was this whole other body hidden under those 70+ pounds! So, exercise was not an option. Like some sort of duty, I had to check-in so I could cross it off my list for the day.

Then, lucky for me, at some point, I really began to enjoy my exercise. This is my time. I still love when I reach the end of a workout but now I am usually excited to begin. Which is totally a bonus.

I absolutely encourage you to think about how you can incorporate exercise into your day. I hope my story can help motivate someone to give exercise another try. Tomorrow I will share a few ideas on how and where to workout.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment :

  1. I was finally at the point that I could *see* the results from exercise, and that was all the motivation I needed. I looked forward to working out. Now that I've broken my leg, I can't keep track of my weight, but I know for a fact I don't want to get on the scale once the cast is off and go into sticker shock. I'm trying to find upper body exercises to help, and resist the temptation to just snack all day while I'm on the couch. I'm trying to find a workout I can look forward to, and still do without using the one leg.
    I'm so thankful that, for the most part, workouts are *fun* now (ie Zumba) Great post, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished