7/8/11

Exercise, What Works?

Once you commit to the idea of exercise you have to figure out what you are going to do and where you are going to do it.

For me, this has evolved along with my attitude towards exercise.

When I began exercising, my son was a newborn. There was no way I was leaving my home to exercise. Too many problems. When would I do it? What would I do? Where would I go? And what would I do with my baby?

For years, I exercised right in my own home. I get bored easily so I acquired quite a collection of DVDs. This was a legit expense in my mind because 1. It kept me motivated and 2. It was working.

Eventually, I joined a gym. This worked out well for a little while. I could get up early, drive to the gym, hop on the cardio equipment and go. It was great being home and showered before the kids woke up. A year of this was really all I could take. There was no room for variety. Like I said, it worked for a while but then it was time for a change.

I joined the local Y. This is the best thing I've done. I love the variety of classes, instructors, time of classes AND having a workout buddy to attend these classes with. We started out going twice a week. Now we are there four or five times a week.

**This is very important**It doesn't matter where you workout but you have to make sure it is a good fit for you. If you plan to workout at home, you have to be motivated enough to stop your daily routine to do it. If being at home makes it too easy to go back to bed or just watch tv, then take your exercise out of the house.

My gym buddy and I have tried a new gym over the past two weeks to see if it would work better for us. For us, the answer is no. The new gym was not comfortable for either of us. One of the two classes we took was boring. We didn't click with the instructors. Changing gyms would be a terrible idea for us. If you aren't comfortable in the environment, you are not going to go. Which means now you are paying a monthly fee for a membership you won't use and most likely your motivation to move will be gone.

Exercise can be fun. You can't take yourself too seriously. Don't worry about the moves or how you look. Have fun. Sweat. Get tired. If you stick with it and you eat sensibly, you will see changes in your attitude, your sleep and your confidence. If you commit to move you will feel better about yourself and feel proud of what you can accomplish. Don't be afraid to try new things. You don't exercise for anyone but yourself. Find what works for you and do it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished