8/27/11

Cinnamon-Maple Quinoa

Another yummy breakfast I wanted to share. Quinoa is one of those super foods but many people have no idea what it is. Technically, it's a seed. But you cook it like rice or oatmeal. Quinoa has lots of protein, fiber and minerals. And a box goes a long way.

On to the recipe...
You need:
1 1/4 cups of water
1 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon syrup
1/3 cup nonfat milk (I used vanilla almond milk)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt

In small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Rinse the quinoa in cold water and strain (I buy prewashed bc I find it hard to strain with such tiny seeds). Add quinoa to boiling water. Reduce heat to simmer for about 12 minutes, uncovered. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for about 5 mins.

In separate pot, melt butter. Stir in syrup, milk, cinnamon, and salt. When quinoa is finished cooking, mix all together. Divide into bowls. Drizzle syrup on top and add sliced fruit. Enjoy!

Serves 6.

Simple, healthy, kids loved it and so did I. Let me know what you think if you give it a try. Thanks!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished