8/1/11

Dog Joins Maryland Half-Marathon

This is a really neat story.  On Saturday, May 15, the Maryland Half Marathon was being run to raise money for cancer research.  A half marathon is just over 13 miles.  That's just over 13 miles of running...with no break.  As you can probably tell, I'm  not a runner.  I am super intimidated by anyone who is serious about running.  And I am in awe of anyone who can run 13 or 26 miles.  I'm not sure why you would want to, but if you can, I'm impressed. 

So, as this group of over 2,000 runners was making their way through the race, somewhere around mile 5, they were joined by a new runner.  Meet Dozer, a 3 year old Goldendoodle.
This amazing little guy, got caught up in all the excitement and movement as people passed by, he started to run along with them.  His owner had no idea he was gone.  I cannot imagine her fear when she realized that her four legged baby was no longer in the yard.  Don't worry, he returned home the next day.  

Dozer ran along with the crowd.  While the human runners were running to raise money for a good cause, I imagine to a dog, the commotion just looked like too much fun to let pass him by. So Dozer got in on the action.  He stayed with the runners for about 8 miles, until everyone else stopped running.  Yes, this dog ran for about 8 miles.  Along the way, several people took pictures of this amazing canine as he kept pace with the two legged athletes around him.  Dozer was also taped as he crossed the finish line and the video is now on YouTube.  As you can see in the picture, he received a metal for finishing the race.  I am an animal lover and as I watched this, my heart felt so full!

Running 8 miles for me would be extremely painful.  For a dog, he could have suffered from many injuries.  This fun loving dog was checked over by a Vet and he is doing fine.  I'm sure he was sore but he had no serious problems after making such a trek. 

Dozer has gotten so much attention for his awesome run that he has been able to help to raise money for the cause.  The Maryland Half Marathon is over, but this pups' efforts have already raised over $20,000.00 for cancer research at UM Greenebaum Cancer Center.  I would encourage you to google Dozer the goldendoodle and watch this for yourself.  This is such a happy story.  The news often feels so overwhelmed but the "bad" in this world, take a moment and just enjoy the "happy" of this story.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished