8/2/11

Sports Can It Be Too Much?

My son is six, soon to be seven years old. He has played t-ball and soccer. This week marks the beginning of football in our house. I'm not crazy about this endeavor for so many reasons.

1. He's my baby and I don't want him to get hurt.
2. Football is my least favorite sport to watch.
3. The time commitment is ridiculous for my child as well as the family.

I told Andy that the practices were 5 days a week. 2 hours a day. He didn't agree and went ahead and signed him up. Last week, he realized that practice is from 6-8pm Monday thru Friday. Guess that makes me right. Once school starts, practice is 3 times a week for 1 1/2 hours...big difference.

I do not think my child needs to be in any activity that requires so much time and energy from him...at the age of 6 or 7. I don't like that he will have no time or energy to do anything else. Our family has to rush through dinner and then go our separate ways every night of the week for the next month or so.

Its not just football. It seems many sports are designed to looking for lifetime commitments from our children. I would rather see my kiddos try different things so when they are older they will know what they want to play seriously.

What happened to kids just playing? What happened to recreational sports? I'm very frustrated with this whole idea of sports being so important. Am I overreacting? Do you agree? What have your experiences been?

1 comment :

Blog Design by Get Polished