9/6/11

Tip for busy Mom

I don't know about you, but the small window of time after the kids get home from school goes by in a blur. Unpack backpacks, supervise homework, clean out lunch boxes and get dinner made. In case you weren't sure, that is a LOT to squeeze into about 1 1/2 hours.

One way I handle this stress is having a menu planned out for the week. I aim for five meal ideas. I make a list and post it on the fridge. Personally, I do not designate which day to have each meal. I don't like feeling like I'm locked into any one thing. But by having a list, the stress is gone for the age old question, "what's for dinner?". This is not a fancy list, I simply write the title and then the name of the cookbook or app I will use. If using a cookbook, I also include the page number. All for very quick reference when I need it.

This works really well for us. And part of what makes it work is choosing your menu items before you go to the grocery store. This way you are sure to get what you need to prepare the planned meals. I cannot and would not share the number of times I gave begun making a last minute choice only to find out I was out of one of the key ingredients. Not so smart on my part an VERY frustrating. It takes a little planning but it is worth it to have less stress at my most crazy time of day.

This week, we are having White Chicken Chili, Baked Ziti with a steamed veggie, homemade Pizza with a salad, Honey Mustard Chicken with cauliflower and a super simple day of Turkey dogs with beans and asparagus.

Do you keep a weekly menu? Is it worth the effort it takes to plan ahead?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished