10/3/11

Flashback...

Question?  Which author made you want to be a reader?

I saw this question and got fired up.  I know, I'm such a nerd, haha.  Anyway, it got me thinking.  Not for long...I knew right away.  It is pretty ironic that for someone who reads several books a week, I did not like to read at all until I got to 8th grade.  And when I say, I didn't like to read, I really mean, I HATED to read.  Ugh!  Misery!  It was awful work.  My parents used to joke they couldn't even get me to read the comics.

I was just telling someone about this the other day.  I could not even remember what the book was about.  But I knew the name of the book and the author who wrote it.  This book had a huge impact on me.  I enjoyed the story for the first time.  And before long, I was reading a book a day.  Really, a book a day!  It was amazing that by reading for enjoyment, I was obviously entertained, but I also started getting much better grades.  I was even moved to the next reading group.

Back to the question...
The book that turned me into a reader was The Pigman by Paul Zindel.  I had to read this book for my reading class.  I was not looking forward to reading this book anymore than I looked forward to any other chapter book for school.  But I opened the book and started to read.

As I said before, I couldn't remember what the book was about.  I knew there were two teenagers and a young man, so I decided to google this book and read a synopsis as a refresher.  Below is a copy of the synopsis found on TheBestNotes.com


This novel relates the story of two young New York City teenagers who feel unwanted and unloved at home and are on a path of self-destruction, when they meet by chance an old man named Angelo Pignati. They find his name in the phone book in a random game of telephone pranks and with all the wrong intentions, go to his house and become his friends. They meet there nearly everyday after school as well as taking trips to the zoo with Mr. Pignati to feed his friend, the baboon named Bobo.
In the process of this relationship, John and Lorraine learn some valuable truths about friendship and betrayal that can never be forgiven. They make the decision to have a destructive party in his house while he is in the hospital recovering from a heart attack. That coupled with the death of his wife and then the death of the baboon he had come to love at the zoo results in his death and Lorraine and John are forced to deal with their fault in this final outcome. 

Reading this little bit, brings a little back.  I can see how this would be a story that I would connect with.  I might have to find a copy of this book and read it again soon.

Do you remember the author that turned you into a reader?  

1 comment :

  1. I love SiFi. I can never get enough of movies/shows like Star Wars and Star Trek. So thats how started to get into reading. I learned that there where more wonderful stories taking place in the wonderful universes of Star Wars and Star trek. I just had to Read them.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished