10/25/11

Got a new plan...FINALLY!

****Sidenote****This is my 202 post!  That is fun.  Who knew I'd have so much to say?  Okay, maybe my Mom who used to tell me when I was young, "Dawn, you've used up your words", haha.  But really, I am having a great time with Java Talk.  Thanks for reading ;)  Back to my "New Plan"...

I hang my head as I admit that I do not handle the 90 minutes from 4 pm to 5:30 pm each week day.  I feel like a failure and sometimes a bad mommy as think about how much a dread this time of day.  What's the big deal?  There is a huge part of me that is excited to see the kiddos and talk about their school day.  But the reality is never like the picture in my mind of how this should go.  And in these quick 90 mins, we have to complete homework, make dinner, eat dinner and have my son ready to head out the door for football practice.

That is a lot to do.  It is exhausting.  Things never go smoothly.  No matter the amount of pep talks I give myself before the big yellow bus drops of my Mini's.  I feel like I'm being pulled in eight directions.  I'm being asked questions from every side.  Someone is fighting about their homework.  Dinner needs prepared or stirred or whatever.  Needless to say, I have not handled this time of day well.  I get very stressed.  I lose my patience quickly.  Just thinking about this time, makes me tense.  Then I feel awful because this is the only real time I get to spend with my son pretty much  all day, and its no fun.

So last week, I had a great idea.  Really, it was great.  My girl Mini is home in the mornings.  So, why don't I do her homework with her in the morning?  Then when she gets home from school, she can play and I can focus on her big brother.  Dinner is mostly prepared before they get home so I have minimal work to do on the Food Front.  This has been working soooooooo well.  The atmosphere is so much more relaxed.  I am enjoying working with both of my kiddos as they do their homework.  I am less stressed and we can enjoy our little window of time in the afternoon.  I am embarrassed to say that it took me until the middle of October to figure this out.  I'm not always quick but I can usually find a good solution if given enough time.

This new plan is working well for us.  I look forward to spending this time with my kiddos each afternoon.  I'll take it one day at a time.  And yes, I realize it works this year while my girl Mini is in kindergarten but next year, I'll have to get it together and handle two full day schoolers.  But that is situation for next year and it will probably be a blog post as well   :)

1 comment :

Blog Design by Get Polished