10/21/11

Pumpkin Scone Recipe

Around Easter, I find myself stuck in the battle Dawn vs. Peanut Butter Eggs.  This ongoing struggle can get very ugly and these super yummy, very bad for you treats are being sold everywhere you go.

In the Fall, the battle changes.  I am currently in the midst of Dawn vs. Pumpkin Scones.  These delicious treats are found at any Starbucks.  I frequent the "Bucks" as a coffee lover, so I fight the temptation with these scones several times a week.  Sometimes, Dawn gets a point.  A lot of times, the point goes to the Scones :( .

So I got to thinking... if I can find a good recipe for Pumpkin Scones, I can make them at home and make them smaller.  This way I can have one for a treat but not feel like I've eaten every calorie burned during my workout that day.  I went on a search and am so happy that I found the following recipe.  I changed it a tiny bit but I think they are fabulous.  Everyone in my family loved them.  Unfortunately,  I am feeling stingy and don't want to share my special scones.  I'll get over it.  I will just have to make more in the near future.  The best part, is I have frozen most of them so I can control the number that I eat.  I have to seriously think about when I'm going to eat it.  This is great!  I enjoyed my first one last night after the kiddos went to bed.  I sat down with a hot cup of tea and very slowly ate my scone.  I loved every bite!


Ingredients:
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/8 t ground ginger
1/8 t ground cloves
6 T butter, sliced and chilled
1/3 C pumpkin puree
1/3 C heavy whipping cream
6 T brown sugar
2 t vanilla extract

1.  In large bowl, whisk together first 8 ingredients.  Cut in the butter until coarse crumbs form.

2.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together pumpkin, cream, sugar and vanilla

3.  Add to dry  mix and stir until mixture forms a thick dough.  Use clean hands to knead the dough once or twice, pressing it together.  Try not to over knead.

4.  On a lightly floured surface, form dough about 3/4 inches thick.  
          **To make my scones smaller, I decided it would be easiest to cut them into squares.  So I used a pizza cutter and just cut the dough into even squares.
     Place squares onto un-greased baking sheet.

5.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15 mins. until scones are lightly browned on the bottom.

Make icing by whisking together:  1 C powdered sugar, 1 t ground cinnamon, and 2 T milk.

6.  Drizzle icing over scones


I was surprised how easy it was to make these scones.  And I think they are definitely worth the work.  I am thrilled I have my own to eat at home (that's gonna save me A LOT of money) and because they are smaller, I don't have to feel guilty after I indulge...Yay me!

If you like pumpkin treats and you like a scone, I encourage you to give this recipe a try.  If you do, let me know what you think.






                                                                   

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished