10/14/11

When I Grow Up...

                                                               

Right now I have an unpaid, full-time job.  Stay at Home Mom, Maid and Taxi Driver are some of the "jobs" I do on a daily basis.  I am actually a certified elementary teacher in the state of Pennsylvania, but I will probably never go back to that job.

I had a hard time when my youngest child headed off to Kindergarten this year.  What do I do with the time I now have?  How do I stay busy?  How do I feel useful?  A few times, I considered finding a part-time job.  But it would have to be seriously part-time, as in 3 hours or less a day, 5 days a week with some flexibility so I can help out in both of my kiddos classes when needed.  I doubt there is much out there that would be open to my schedule.  Which is okay because I have begun to find ways to fill those few hours each day.  Ways that don't include spending money, at least some of the time ;)

I am very blessed that Andy has a job where he can support our family financially.  And I hesitate to say I want to find a job.  But there are days when I do think about what I would like to do "when I grow up".  Here are a few of my ideas.

1.  Work at a coffee shop.  I love coffee.  I enjoy talking to people.  The only downfall I can think of is being around all the sweets all the time.

2.  Work at the front desk at my local YMCA.  I have no idea why it is but the people who are currently paid employees of the Y are miserable.  They are rude, lazy and extremely unhelpful.  The volunteers are great.  And I can't speak for the many employees that work in other areas of the Y, but the people who sit at the front desk are terrible at their job.  There are many mornings when I leave the Y and I think to myself, "I would be so much better at that job".  I can register people, greet people with a smile and answer questions.

3.  Work in a book store.  To be surrounded by books when I go to work sounds like a dream come true.  Although, if I worked at a bookstore, I'd have to be very careful to make sure I didn't spend all of my paycheck on a new stack of books.

There is a big part of me that never wants to give up being a SAHM.  My kids are growing up so fast as it is.  I don't want to be burdened by an outside schedule or bring home stresses related to a job.  But sometimes, I do think about what I will do next year when both kiddos are in full day school.  It would be nice to have a little fun money.  And with part time work, I will still be able to take my classes at the Y as well as be active in the classrooms (the two most important things that I don't want to give up).

I don't know if a part-time job is the next stop for me.  Time will tell.  I don't have do decide anything today.  For now, I'm happy to be home when my Mini's are home and occasionally dream about what I want to do "when I grow up".

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished