11/16/11

Book in Progress

This month, I am to be reading, I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson.

                                                                  

This book has been made for the Big Screen and is in theaters now.  I will admit, I am only 26% through the book (you know, I'm reading it on my Kindle) but I have had a few thoughts on this book already.

This book is about a  professional working mother of two.  These pages chronicle her constant battle between being successful in a "man's" world while she provides most of the family income and being a mother/wife.  She has issues with the Nanny who is hired to take care of her children.  She both caters to and resents this young woman who comes into her home and does what the main character cannot.

So far, I am unimpressed with the husband.  He does help around the house which is nice to see.  But he doesn't seem to understand the pressure she places on herself to do everything.  So far, I want him to make her sit down and talk about how she needs to relax and enjoy life a little.  The main character loves truly loves her job, but doesn't like that at work she is expected to not have a life outside of work.  And at home, she feels she is always falling short of the domestic success she feels she should be.

Being a Stay At Home Mom, I didn't think I would be able to identify with the main character at all.  In fact, I have heard that there will be a few times in the book that she will have harsh words/thoughts against women who choose to stay home.  I have not come across those parts yet.  What struck me was how manic her thoughts are from page to page.  It is a constant list of do this, then that, run here, clean that, check this, finish that...and so on.  There have been parts that I have began to feel  frantic while reading.  This mindset is something I can identify with.  I may not be juggling work, but it is the constant going, never resting, physically or mentally that I understand very well.  I will say, in recent years, I have had a less frantic attitude and that is a relief.

Working Mom or SAHM, I do not think it there is one choice that is right for every family.  Each family has to figure out what works best for them and make decisions accordingly.  I do not think less of any mommy who chooses to work, because she needs to or because she wants to.  What I don't like is when it feels like we have to be in separate camps, "Us" vs. "Them".  We may face different challenges but I feel its safe to say being a parent is hard for us all.

Since I am not even halfway (50%) through this book, it is too soon to decide if I like it or not.  I just found an interesting connection.  It wasn't a positive connection but I a connection nonetheless. It also made me realize that most days, I don't feel that kind of mental shuffling that constantly left me exhausted.  And for THAT, I am thankful.

Have you read this book?  Seen the movie?  What are your thoughts?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished