11/9/11

RIF

                                                        

About a month ago, one of the ladies in my gym class and I were talking.  We already made the connection that our kiddos go to the same school.   And, she is the PTO president for our school.  In a second, I saw a spark in her eyes and I thought to myself, "uh-oh, what is she going to ask me to do?"  I wasn't wrong.  She did turn to me and ask if I would be interested in taking on some responsibility.  Lucky for me, the job she had in mind is right up my alley :)  She didn't know this and seemed a bit surprised at my willingness, but its a perfect fit.  What is my job you ask?

I will be the person in charge of the RIF (Reading is Fundamental) program for our school.  As it is this year, this program is offered to our first graders, three times a year.  RIF is a program where every child (in first grade for our school) is given a brand new book, for free.  I remember when I was in middle school, we would go to the library and there were RIF books set out on the table and we would get to pick one out to take home.

I love books.  I love to read books.  I love to read books to entertain myself and I love to read books aloud to children.  I am so happy to be a part of a program that is providing new books for the first graders in our school.

Today was the first RIF event of the year.   It was so fun to watch the kiddos walk through and look at all the covers.  Then they got to walk around the tables the second time and take the book that they wanted to take home with them.  A few kids didn't really seem to care.  But most were thrilled.  They looked like they felt special (and of course, they are).  I'm so excited to be a part of this program.  I am helping out this year.  But next year, a friend and I will be running the show ourselves.  We will order the books, schedule the dates, and man the events.  What a great way to be involved with the kiddos of our school!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished