11/30/11

That Just Sounds Gross!

                                                           


Ever decided you wouldn't like a food before you even tried it.  We all have.  Some of us are more adventurous than others when it comes to the food we eat, but we've all been there.  I once felt this way about pistachios.  This tiny little nut, just sounded awful to me.  The only fond thought I had of this food was the scene in Mickey's Christmas Carol where the Ghost of Christmas Past showed up and asked Scrooge if he wanted a pistachio.  Cute scene.

Fast forward many years and I managed to avoid these tiny wonders.  Most nights, after the kiddos go to bed, my hubby will sit down with a bowl of peanuts or pistachios.  For years, I sat beside him as he cracked away and ate those nuts all gone.  I had NO IDEA what I was missing.  Being a Pistachio Snob was pointless.  I wouldn't even try them.  I mean, they are green and wrinkled and what kind of name is Pistachio?  

About 2 yrs ago, I was packing my son's lunch.  He was not a Pistachio Snob and so I was cracking them for him (he was still in preschool) and for some crazy reason, I was inspired to taste one.  WOW!  That tiny nut was amazing.  it was crunchy and salty and so tasty!  I couldn't stop eating them.  Looking back, I'm a bit embarrassed at the image of me standing over the trash can dumping shells as fast as I could get them open.  Oh well, I had a long time many years without pistachios to make up for ;)

Pistachios have lots of health benefits so they make a great snack.  Of course, this is when I remind everyone that portion size is important.  But these little goodies are a good source of protein, fiber as well as vitamins and minerals.  

I don't eat these all the time.  Every once in a while I will have them with my sandwich and an apple for  lunch.  I love these little nuts.  I wonder what else I'm missing out on by not giving the new food a chance.  

Have you ever tried a food you never thought you would like but found you were surprised after the first bite?  Leave a comment below sharing what that food was.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished