12/20/11

Non-Scale Victories Are Important

The Holidays are here. Over the next few weeks, people wverywhere will be eating way too much food way too often. If you have more self control than most and you can keep your indulging the sweet tooth to a minimum, that's awesome! But for most of us, it is so hard to be around all the food without partaking in the yumminess.

Something I learned when I began my weight loss journey, was to look at the holidays with a goal in mind. A realistic goal. Basically, do you want to still have a loss when the festivities are over? Are you just hoping to maintain where you are? Or are you truly ok with a temporary gain? There is no right answer. Your response will then determine the work you have cut out for you as you hop from party to party.

Remember, non-scale victories are so important. I am someone who can become obsessed with the number on the scale. And when I feel myself becoming consumed with angst over that number, I have to force myself to think in terms of non-scale victories. This morning, I remembered a very real NSV that happened to me about 6 years ago. It was this time of year. I had been on a roll with my weightloss. And I had to buy a dress to wear to a New Years Eve wedding. I remember taking my best friend and feeling the very familiar dred of clothes shopping. Nothing ever fit right. Nothing ever looked how I wanted it to look. But this time, we went into JCPennys and I pulled a black dress off of the rack. I tried it on and I was really happy with what I saw. This dress was a size 14 and I couldn't have been happier! This was my first major NSV and I still feel a small rush of excitement as I think on this moment.

Your NSV may be different. It may be focused on what you do or don't eat at one social event. For example, "today I will take one plate and take a little of everything I want. But then I am finished with the food.". That is a common one for me. I love food. I am a grazer. I have a hard time staying away from a few bites here and a few bites there. But if I set that goal and am successful, it is an amazing feeling.

Whatever you do, don't give up. If you mess up, forgive yourself and move on. There will be other opportunities or success. Keep your long term goal in mind.

Maybe you will just stay active. You will find some way to exercise each day you have a social event. Whatever the goal is for you, setting a goal and seeing it through is so empowering. When setting your goal, make sure you know what you want the final outcome to be(loss, maintain or gain). Take small steps to make that happen. Enjoy the time with family and friends. An celebrate ANY non-scale victory you achieve. The holidays are stressful enough without adding the concern of what we eat.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished