12/13/11

The World Through My Son's Eyes

My son is 7 and a really good reader (forgive my proud Mommy Moment).  Lately, I've had to smile at his innocence as he reads something and makes an incorrect interpretation.  For example, tonight I am going out to dinner with some friends.  Andy told the Mini's they were going out to Arooga's for wings.  My son responded by asking, "Can we go to Hooters for wings?"  Um...no!  Now, just to lay down the facts, my husband does not eat at Hooters.  Our son just remembered reading the sign that they sold wings and it stuck in his mind.  Cute, huh?  Not to this mommy.

  I previously wrote about how we as parents chose to keep the Sandusky scandal from his little eyes.  That means that we kept the newspaper from him for a few days.  We wanted to protect him from some of the ugliness in this world.

Recently we saw a Billboard while driving around.  He saw the baby who was clearly cold and read the reference about Daddy not having the heater serviced before the cold weather moved in.  I forget the actual joke of this ad, but it was funny to me that he was so literal and missed the point of the commercial. I realize he is only 7 and the HVAC company really doesn't care if my son misunderstands the ad campaign, but this is just another example of how my son takes everything in and tries to understand the world around him.

The older he gets, the more we have to work  to protect the innocence in our children.  I don't want my kiddos to live in an unrealistic bubble but I feel they are too young to experience a lot of what is bombarding us from all angles.  Now, I not only have to choose what is appropriate for the Mini's to watch on TV (which I think is tough enough), but I have to worry about what they can read.  Read in the paper, books, on T-shirts, and now on the signs that pepper the streets.  The job of a parent doesn't seem to get easier.  It changes all the time as each stage brings on new challenges.  I'm not complaining, just sharing my observations.

This topic has brought a cute story to mind. This memory takes place my Boy Mini  was in kindergarten.   It was the first time I ever heard him sound something out without being prompted.  We were visiting my in-laws in Erie.  We were stopped at a red light and I heard my Little Man saying "KaFaCa, KaFaCa".  I was confused and so I turned to him.  He was very serious looking.  Then I realized we were stopped in front of a Kentucky Fried Chicken and the sign out front only said KFC.  The poor guy finally decides to sound out a "word" in the real world and it isn't a real word.  I laughed a lot over that one.  



No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished