2/1/12

Dear Diary, It's Over.

So it is now two days post surgery and I am so happy.  Not jumping around for joy happy (that is still many weeks away) but I am very happy.  This is the 2nd time I've been through this.  Lucky for me, I only have two hips.  Last time my anxiety was based on the unknown about the surgery and recovery.  This time, I wasn't worried about the surgery or recovery so much because I knew what to expect.  Only, I guess every experience is unique so I've been pleasantly surprised with my recovery so far.

First, I noticed right away, I was not swollen like I was the first time.  I had a little swelling but last time I was shocked to find my right thigh to be about twice its normal size.  Not this time :)  Also, the bandage was different.  The bandage the first time was about 1 1/2 feet long and probably a good 6-8 inches wide.  I had no idea what was under there.  This time, I just had a little bulge of gauze covered with this super clear tape.  Last time, I couldn't shower for 3 DAYS!!!!  That was awful.  I was allowed to shower the very next day this time around.  That in itself helps a person feel better.  Its hard to feel good about yourself when you are sitting around in your own stink :(  Another difference is that the first time the damage was so extensive, the doc couldn't repair the tear.  That meant I only needed to use crutches for two weeks.  This time, the tear was repaired (which is good) but that means I have to use the crutches for four weeks.  Four weeks is going to be a challenge for me.  But it is important so I will do my best.

I took the bandage off this morning as directed by the doc and was surprised yet again...there are only two incisions.  Last time I had three.  I am moving about pretty well.  A little slow at times and by evening I'm pretty wiped out.  But for the most part, I feel fine.  A little tender but hey, I just had hip surgery.

My biggest problem is boredom.  I am not used to sitting around and being still.  I need to move.  I need to get out and see people.  This is going to be a real obstacle.  Today, a friend is coming to get me and we are going out to lunch.  I am thrilled to have this little excursion to look forward to.  And I have friends calling and stopping by to visit.  This is very helpful.

I can't wait until next week when I start going to the Y to walk the track.  That is going to be the highlight of my day.  Getting to see my friends and feeling like I am getting some exercise.  Overall, I am in a good place. My attitude is good and I'm just looking forward to the near future when this is all behind me.  I'll start physical therapy in about 2 weeks and then I'll be able to get back to the gym and start slowly getting back to some routine.  I am very excited about this year.  I've decided that this is the year that I am going to become an athlete.  That may sound silly to you but coming from me, the girl who didn't play sports and hated gym class, it is a big statement.  I am ready to work hard and do what needs done and then I want to revel in the knowledge that I did it.  I just wish I could go back and show those coaches/gym teachers what I was able to achieve.

1 comment :

  1. You played softball when you were young - and it didn't matter that you threw "like a girl" - you were a girl!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished