2/3/12

Random Thought

I recently read somewhere about writing a description of the first time you drove.  That may sound like a silly thing to write about, but for me, its kind of a funny story.  Although, at the time, I know my Mom didn't think so. 

I think I was 12.  Before our move to Pennsylvania in 1986, my family lived in Virginia.  So fast forward a few years after the move and we are back in VA visiting some friends from when we were younger.  These friends had moved to a bigger house on a lot of land.  And so these four boys had lots of room to roam and lots of freedom that my younger sister and I were not accustomed to.  

At 12 yrs. old, I was the oldest out of all six kids.  So the boys had this tractor they were allowed to drive around on the property.  Attached to this tractor was a small wagon.  I think you can see where this is going, right?  So we are all piled onto this tractor pulled wagon and I am totally fascinated.  I wanted to drive this thing. Afterall, I am the oldest, if these boys can do it, so can I.  

I get behind the wheel, but I made sure that one of the boys stayed up front with me.  I was smart enough to know that I didn't want to be up there all by myself.  So I'm "driving" this tractor all around and having a pretty good time.  We end up close to the house.  And there was this half circle that went around a tree.  At this point, my dear friend has gotten tired of helping me so he's turned around and goofing off with the kids behind us.  

I go to make this turn, leading the tractor and the wagon around this tree.  I was really nervous.  I didn't want to do this.  But it was too late we were on our way...and then there was a horrible sound.  SCREECH!  or something like that.  

I had side swiped my mom's brand new car with the wagon.  Oops!  Mom wasn't even home.  She and her friend had gone out somewhere and left the kids with the Dads.  Boy, was I scared.  What had I done?  She had only made 1 payment on this car and I had hit it.  I never should have been driving and why didn't I just go straight?  I was going to be in so much trouble.  

So Mom gets home and she didn't notice.  My Dad tells her what happened.  She didn't believe him.  This was totally out of character for me so she thought he was kidding.  When she realized he was serious, she was very mad at him.  (As a mother myself, I would have been angry at Dad too, he should have been watching, right?) 

I don't think I got into much trouble.  The fear of trouble, and the knowledge that I had disappointed my Mom where very stressful for me.  I should never have been driving.  I should never have tried to make that turn.  But I did.  It was fun while it lasted but very unusual behavior for me.  I can laugh about this now and I hope my Mom can too.  I wonder if there is any coincidence that I didn't get my driver's license until I was 19 yrs. old?  Hmm....

1 comment :

  1. I am definitely able to laugh about this now. You did not get in any trouble and I never felt you disappointed me. I was VERY upset with your Dad, but not as much as when you ate the cigarette butts while you were sitting right next to him.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished