3/14/12

"Not My Kid"

Famous last words, right? This time I'm referring to how at the beginning of the school year, my child was NOT going to eat a school lunch. I used to work in the schools. You can throw any spin you want to a menu but those are NOT healthy lunches.

Andy thought I was ridiculous. He loved sharing memories of school lunches and how much he enjoyed them.

I'm sorry, breadsticks with dipping sauce is not healthy. Neither is Nacho Fun lunch.

So, the year began with me packing every day for my son. This was one way I felt I was showing him how much I love him. Of course, I don't expect him to understand this until he is much older. But he REALLY wanted to buy. So for a long time, he was allowed to buy once a week.

Then we got connected to the Online prepay for lunch which means I never have to scrounge around for money on the days he is going to buy. This convenience was the beginning of the end.

Somewhere along the way, I started wishing in my mind that he would be happy with one of the four choices for the day so I didn't have to pack a lunch. (I hang my head in shame)

The way that I have begun to deal with these moments of Mommy Guilt is to prepare a super healthy breakfast to send him off to school with.

So tonight, I am trying a new recipe of Baked Apple Oatmeal and I just popped it in the oven. Tomorrow, I just need to heat it up and serve to the Mini's. A few minutes tonight and now I don't feel so bad that my Boy Mini will be buying lunch at school tomorrow...again.

Thanks for reading Java Talk. Please share your thoughts below.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished