4/16/12

Horror Stories...

Today I had my CPR certification class.  I am one step closer to getting my Boxing Certification!  So I arrived ready to spend the next several hours with the small group of people in the room.  There was a young couple participating in the training today.  They were clearly expecting and were taking this certification class together so they are prepared should there be an emergency after the baby comes.  I can remember when I was pregnant, reading that I should get CPR certified but Andy and I chose not to.  So Kudos to this young couple...

There were two instructors for the course.  Both were retired from their careers and explained that teaching these courses were how they stay busy in retirement.  I was shocked how quickly the conversation was steered towards the expectant couple and their baby.  The problem was the instructors were joking with the couple about how life doesn't get any better for the next 18 years!  Followed by even more comments that basically said the same thing.  I mean, if you've ever been pregnant, you know that EVERYONE has advice for you and a story to share.  But I was starting to feel bad for this couple.  I finally turned to them and told them I had a 5 and a 7 yr. old and we are doing just fine.  The Daddy looked at me and with a relieved smile thanked me.

I just kept thinking, "what are you thinking?" as this man and woman kept sharing story after story with this couple.  The male instructor went on and on until he mentioned he watches his great-grandson and then the stories continued on.  The female instructor didn't want to be outdone, so she added that she is helping to raise her grown son's (who is single) two teenagers.  She then said, "think of the worst there is and triple it, then you've got my life".  REALLY?! Don't get me wrong, parenthood isn't all hugs and cuddles but what happened to the joy a baby's arrival?  This poor girl is only 5 1/2 months pregnant.  I was ready to run over and hug her. A very strange experience.

On a positive note, I am so happy that I took this training.  This is not the first time I've been certified.  But it is the first time I've gone to do this all on my own.  This was a victory for me.  It is not easy for me to go into a new situation on my own.  In fact, as I was driving to the class, I realized that just last Fall, I would not have even attempted this small feat.  But as part of this new me initiative, I grabbed a cup of coffee and took a deep breath, then walked through the doors.  Once I was in there, I went even farther by pushing myself to go first for each demonstration rather than hiding in the back.  It was scary the first time or two but by the end of the course, I was confident and ready to be tested.  And I'm happy to say, I passed!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished