8/14/13

Strengths Finder 2.0

For work, I was asked to read a book called Strengths Finder 2.0. This book is based on a fascinating idea. Instead of focusing on our weaknesses and trying to make them better (let's face it, I'll never be a chemist) the focus is on our strengths and developing those strengths.

The author suggests that if we are plugged into jobs, projects and roles in relationships where we are strongest, we will be much happier people. I think the author may be on to something. 

So you read the book then take a twenty minute quiz online and then you are told your top five strengths. Then you look up those strengths and learn a lot about yourself. 

My top five strengths were as follows:
1. Empathy
2. Restoration
3. Communication
4. Adaptability
5. Developer
As I read the attributes of these strengths, I was able to see myself very clearly. I would recommend this book to everyone. It was an eye opening experience for me. Has anyone else read this book?

I think many businesses would do well to have their employees read this book and share their results. Who wants to go to work and struggle to perform in some way that just not natural to the individual? There will always be tasks outside of our comfort zone, we would never grow without such steps.  But, there is a difference in quality of work and satisfaction with job performance of you are doing something you are good at.   The good news is, everyone has different strengths.   If an employer understands the strengths of the team, then tasks can be assigned accordingly.  

Have you worked at a job that was not the right fit for you?  Have you found the job that best suits your personality and strengths?   

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished