4/13/16

I'm Not There




Being a Stay At Home Mom is no joke. Being a Working Mom is also no joke. Having spent many years at home, followed by the last few years working, I have experienced life as a Mom in both positions. There are definite pros and cons to each.

Today I'm thinking about how I'm missing out on what's happening during the school day. My kids are approaching their Middle School years. In the beginning, I knew the teachers, I knew the classmates, I was on a schedule to help in the classroom. I even picked my kiddos up after school each day.

The last few years, I know who the teachers are and I feel I can talk to them about anything, which is important. But I find myself never knowing which Cycle Day it is, which means I don't know if it's Gym, Library, Art or Music day. I know the names my kiddo's closest friends but I as their circles change I find myself having no clue who they are talking about.

I do try to head over and have lunch with the Mini's every once in a while. It's so fascinating to watch my kids in "their" world. Seeing the routines as well as the interactions with their peers.

When I am asked to provide a snack or supply for a party, I'm happy to help but it's not the same. I grab what is needed and send it off to school with the correct child and its forgotten. It's a task that I need to do and it gets done. I'm not complaining, it's just weird. And sometimes it's sad. I DON'T know all the kids anymore. I have so much on my mind that it's easier to ask "Do you have gym today?" than to know the cycle day and the corresponding special for that day.

Soon my kids won't want me anywhere near school, which is normal I suppose. Today I'm a little bummed I no longer have that direct connection with school life anymore. I'm sure there is something more I could do to close the gap in some ways. But the reality is, I work full time and my kids are getting older. Both of these are good things, great in fact. Again, I'm not complaining. I'm just thinking about how sometimes it's hard to juggle it all and the sacrifices we might have to make in order to keep those balls in the air.

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling like I'm missing out on something because I'm at work and no longer at home. Our kiddos will be fine but that doesn't mean we don't feel the weight of not being able to do it all....if you are a working Mom, what do you feel you miss out on the most?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments :

  1. For me I think it's the being able to come in for lunch, volunteering for daytime events, and play dates after school because the days I'm in the office late are normally the days my kids friends are free to play. Summer is when it hits me the most because I see everyone home and enjoying the time with their kids and I'm at work so that fun time mostly happens on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought about summer. That is another big thing I wrestle with. It's tough for sure. And we do what we can. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished