5/20/16

Growing Old Gracefully





I know I'm not old. For me, 39 is a great place to be. I've lived part of my life. I've learned many lessons, good and bad. I'm comfortable with who I am. I'm looking forward to the many experiences I have yet to have. "Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be", I love this saying. I look forward to what is ahead in my life.

All that being said, I do not enjoy the aches and pains that accompany each new year. But compared to the pains I've had in the past with my hips, I won't even complain about any current aches and pains. I may not complain, but they exist and are a sign that I am getting older.

Each new day is a gift that I am truly thankful for. Most days I don't feel my age. But I am finding more and more when I look in the mirror, I'm surprised by the amount of gray aka "sparkly" hair I see in my reflection. I know this is coming. It happens to everyone. There's nothing wrong with it. Sparkly hair tends to send some people running to the salon or the local drugstore to buy a box of dye to hide the evidence of time. The younger me thought this would bother me more than it actually does.

I must be weird, for some reason, I don't mind my sparkle. It is sprinkled throughout the crown of my head. And there are thin streaks on the sides of my face. And I kind of like it. I'm not sure why it doesn't bother me. Maybe because these sections of hair really do look shimmery in the sunlight? It really does sparkle. I definitely do not want my skin to look "old" but I don't mind having more and more sparkle in my hair. I guess that is good for me because getting into the cycle of dying your hair adds up quickly and can become very costly.

Maybe some day these streaks will bother me, but for today, I'm comfortable with them. I'm happy for each new day. With each day I laugh...I work hard...I enjoy the company of the people around me....and I may be growing more sparkly hair. I am not judging anyone who chooses to dye their hair, not in any way. There are some really fun ways to color your hair that can be done for a variety of reasons. I simply find it interesting that having more and more gray hair (see, I can say it, gray hair...I call it sparkly hair just because I love sparkly things) and it doesn't bother me at all.

Growing old gracefully looks different on each of us. And the more time we have in our bodies the more challenges we face for sure. I have a feeling I am just beginning to discover those challenges. Is there something that has bothered you more or less than the younger you expected it would? If you would, please leave a comment below and share your thoughts.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments :

  1. All that matters is that you are comfortable with them and with yourself...I find this post very inspiring :) and you do not look 39, that is for certain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it is all about being comfortable with yourself. That is something some people are born with while others take a long time to discover. It definitely took me a few decades. But I'm happy to be here today. Thank you for sharing as well as your kind words above.

      Delete
  2. Good timing on this article. I turned 40 this week. I am sad, that youth is fleeting, but I am looking forward to retirement and being able to slow down a little.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished