5/3/16

I'm So Angry




I'm angry. Really angry. A neighbor recently informed me that just two blocks away from where I live, is a known, registered, ankle bracelet wearing, child molester. I cannot even put into words how much this sickens me.

I learned this just when I was beginning to entertain the idea of letting my girlie walk about a half block away (to the street behind mine) to a friends house. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather know then not know. But it angers me that this is now something to worry about. And now my children will not be gaining the normal independence they should be allowed to grow into.

Once again, I have to tell my kids a little more about the evil in their world. Their age appropriate freedoms will be majorly re-evaluated. It's the only way I know how to react to this information.

I don't know this man's story and honestly I could care less. I'm furious that he lives in my neighborhood. The Meghan's Law website can be somewhat informative but it only tells you so much. I'm glad its available but why are these disgusting people allowed to move into neighborhoods with children? I've done my research before, unless it is a violent sexual crime, the only people who are required to know when a sex offender moves in, are the state police and if they move within a few miles of a school (there are 4 schools within minutes of my house), then the superintendent needs to know. That's it. That's ridiculous. This man could be walking in front of my home. He could approach my kids at any time.

Finding the balance of letting my kids grow up and being always ready to protect them is hard. For me personally, giving up control of who my kiddos play with and where they hang out is already hard. Now I feel like the slight level of comfort I've found in this process has been ripped away from me. Did I mention I'm angry?

How do I as a parent learn about the disgusting reality of this "neighbor" and still let my kids grow into their freedom...and still protect them? I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have. If you have any ideas, please post them below.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments :

  1. There are many "unregistered" offenders too...or ones that have not yet been caught. I think that is even worse. I always advise my buyers to check the Meghan's Law website, however, anyone can move in next door. They need a place to live too, but I think the easiest way to tell your kiddos is to have them study the picture of the guy and just tell them he did some bad things in the past and you would prefer them to not tak to this person without your presence. We don't want to teach them about judging others (leave that to God), but being aware and having an action plan isn't wrong. I know it's not exactly the same, but one of our neighbors had a Rottweiler that he always let off leash in his yard, and I was always afraid the dog would attack my son while he was playing outside. God has protected him (and me) and that's all we can do...is pray for protection and place all our fears in his hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that we need to pray for your our children and I will continue to do so. I have talked to my kiddos and will continue to do so. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished