5/2/16

Why Do I Blog?





Some of you know I started Java Talk several years ago. It was a hobby of mine and I enjoyed it very much. The truth is, I started it on a complete whim. My ex-husband and I had just driven our two preschool aged children from Central Pa to Cleveland, OH because my then MIL was having major heart surgery at Cleveland Clinic. I remember waiting for hours in the family waiting room and thinking about how I felt guilty that for the entire car ride, my kiddos had been plugged into a DVD player. Which led to the memories of many family trips where we looked at the changing scenery, rest stops and little magic marker booklets we bought from a Shoney's somewhere along the way. I remember being in the waiting room feeling guilty my kids watched movies the entire trip, for my sanity. And wondered how parents managed before electronics in the car were a thing. As I struggled with these thoughts and feelings, my first Java Talk post was born.

I mentioned above that Java Talk started as a hobby I enjoyed. Somewhere along the way, my depression started to take over but I was still writing. This is when I started writing about the struggles I was facing. At this time, there was a bit of a shift and my writing became more of a journal style. I believe this was very helpful in my healing. And I noticed something very interesting (to me at least), the number of people who read my blog increased tremendously once I started writing about my daily struggles with depression. This helped me to see that I was not alone. Other people were identifying with my experiences. Not only was this helping me, but I was beginning to hope that somehow, my struggles were helping someone else.

Then there was silence. The battle got too consuming and Java Talk fell off my radar. This was followed by a few years of trying to recreate my life. Which was all consuming but in a positive way.

Fast forward a bit more and I started stumbling across old Java Talk posts. Time and time again, I would think to myself how much I enjoyed writing Java Talk. After several months of rereading posts, I decided to begin writing again.

Now I write about bigger kid issues and working mom issues. I also try to share positive ideas and draw from the many new experiences I have had and continue to have. I remember very well what being controlled by depression and anxiety felt like, so when something comes mind that I believe may be an encouragement to someone else, I write about that too. I blog to work out ideas and beliefs for myself and I love taking you all along for the ride. When a reader leaves a comment, it makes me feel good to know that I was able to share something that may provide hope or laughter. Life is hard people. And we need as many people in our corner as we can get. If any part of my journey can help someone in any way, I'm happy to share. If we are not friends on Facebook, search for Java Talk and like my page. Please, feel free to share any posts you feel inspired to share. You can do that below each post or from the link on Java Talk's Facebook page (by clicking share).

Thank you so much for your continued support of my blog as well as your encouragement as I keep moving forward in this journey of mine.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments :

  1. It is interesting how our blogs are born and also how they evolve over time. Thank you for sharing your story with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Java Talk. We all have such different stories in this life. What a great experience it has been for me to be able to share a bit of what I've learned as well as what I am still learning.

      Delete
  2. You are welcome. I am now following your blog if that is ok :) I am looking forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is absolutely ok! I stopped went to your blog and thought we have some similar ideas. I shared your post from today to my Facebook page for Java Talk. I hope that was ok. I am looking forward to reading more of your work as well!

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished