6/23/16

Confessions Of An Online Shopper




I have a confession to make. I remember when the Internet became available. I remember being very afraid of the Internet. I was in college at the time and I used it as little as possible. Sounds ridiculous now as I am writing this blog post from my smartphone, which has 24/7 access to the Internet.

A few years passed and I became more comfortable with searching the World Wide Web. But then people started talking about shopping online. No way! Not me. Too scary. I felt this way for a few years. In fact it wasn't until 2006, after I had my second baby that I decided to give it a try. Wow, how this changed my life. That year, I had a newly 2 year old and a newborn. Christmas was coming whether I got to the store or not. And I was so overwhelmed with the idea of dragging these babies in and out of stores, that I finally gave Amazon a try.

And I've never looked back. Although I know there are stores that are suffering because online shopping exists, I still prefer to shop online. I don't say that with a mean spirit. I'm just acknowledging how real stores are fighting against online shopping but that I prefer the online method to purchase most things. The convenience cannot be beat. The ease of shopping online is great. But it can be TOO easy to buy things. It's literally just a click....and I get an email thanking me for my order.

I've bought pretty much everything online. Clothes, pet supplies, trinkets, vacuum, even a mattress (not an every day mattress but a spare one for guests)! I buy gifts for everyone online.

This takes self discipline on my part. Sometimes I feel like shopping. But I really shouldn't. So I have been known to "window shop" online. I will add things to my cart. Usually, I delete these items and think nothing more. Occasionally, I find I keep going back to that item and still would like to buy it. When that happens, I tend to purchase the item.

I'm pretty good about not blowing my budget by shopping online. What I am guilty of is not sending returns back. Thankfully this doesn't happen often. But it does happen. I will order something and not like it for whatever reason. I do not want to be bothered with returning items. I usually find someone to give these items to. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean someone else won't. I have learned over the years to frequent stores online that have a physical location close to my house. JCPenny for example. Then it isn't such a big thing to run in and make a return. I can even do that over my lunch break!

Are you an online shopper? I really did buy a mattress online. This is not a typical online purchase item. But it worked out ok for me. What is the craziest item you've bought online? Post it below and share.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished