6/3/16

My Wish List Is Minus One!

I had previously posted a list of projects I dreamed of completing around my house. I am thrilled to announce I have completed the refinishing of my entryway pew. I had been looking for two years for a pew to bring home and add to my entryway. What surprised me was the price, even on Craigslist. Every pew I found was so expensive I couldn't afford it. So I waited and kept looking. Finally, last winter, I found one I could justify buying. I was so excited to bring it home. But now it needed lots of work. The biggest problem was not knowing what to do or how to do it.



This is what it looked like when I brought it home. Maisy approved :)


This big whole is due to the fact that I only bought 6 ft of pew. There were 2 sections of 6 ft pew connected together. I did not need 12 ft of pew, so I only bought one section. The gouge was the scariest part of the process. How was I going to cover this ugly slot? I considered this for several months until a friend told me about this great product called Wood Filler.




So I bought the wood filler and slapped it on. My pew sat like this for a few more weeks. (Look, Maisy brought "baby" to sit on the pew)

Then the sanding began. I've only used a sander once before. This was more difficult than I expected. Not sanding the entire pew but sanding the spot with the wood filler. In fact, I sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded....painted the entire bench with primer and a first coat of paint...and saw that I definitely needed to sand that spot even more!




But I'm getting ahead of myself. Before I began sanding, I had to remove the cushion. I grabbed a Philips head screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers and started pulling out staples, lots and lots of staples.

Then it was time to move this project outside to the garage. As I mentioned above, I used a primer to cover the entire pew. Then I found this great paint, Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x by Rust-Oleum. There weren't as many color choices to choose from as I would have liked but I couldn't believe how well it went on. And how little I actually used. I went with a bright white.




After the first coat, It was obvious that the wood filler needed MORE sanding. A dear friend with more experience in refinishing furniture came over and helped me get this as smooth as possible.

After the final sanding, I re-primed and re-painted the newly sanded side again. Once that dried, I applied the final coat to the entire pew.

The last step included getting the cushion/cover back in place. This was tricky as well. I began stapling and realized the fabric was just a smidge too short on one side....typical Dawn move, haha. So I pulled out the new staples and realigned my fabric. I this time I think I did a good job.




Here is a pictures of the finished product in good lighting. I'm very happy with how it turned out.


This is how it looks when it is where it belongs in my house. If you look real close (don't do that) you can see where the wood filler was used. There was a time in my life that it would have really bothered me that my pew wasn't perfect. Not anymore. I worked hard on this project and love the finished piece. Perfection is so overrated. It looks worlds better than it did when I brought this pew home. It was more work than I anticipated but I love the feeling of a finished project!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments :

  1. WOW...what a transformation :) I love it, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing and every time you see it, you can think--yeah, I did that. What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished