7/19/16

Back At It Again!




If you read back far enough through Java Talk (as in 4 years ago) you will learn that I was a boxer. I didn't compete in a ring but boxing was my passion. I know it isn't very "girlie" and sounds very aggressive but boxing is where I found my inner strength.

It made me feel a power I didn't feel in any other part of my life. It was something I was good at. It changed my body. At a time in my life where I had so little confidence in myself, I found something I was good at.

I loved boxing so much, I started the journey to become certified to teach. There were some obstacles along the way but then I finally achieved my goal and got certified.

And then my world went tilt...Depression. Divorce. Full time employment. Learning to live on a budget. Who had the time or money to bother with exercise of any kind? Not me.

While my life has never been better, I've gained about 25 pounds. When it comes to weight and food, I still have a few demons to beat. One day at a time, right? For the past two years, I've exercised pretty regularly but it's usually a struggle. I don't want to do it. It's not fun. It's something I have to do. Get it done and enjoy the rest of my day. Over the last three years, there have been so many moments where I have truly missed boxing. But it's not a very good solo sport.

I recently had a great idea (if I do say so myself)! I will offer to teach my friends to box and then work out with them. It will look something like this: I teach 4 combinations. I will catch the punches. Then we switch, and I put on the gloves and my partner will catch my hits. We go through this cycle for 30, 40, 60 mins...however long works that day! It's a fantastic cardio workout and it will tone your body as well.

Most importantly to me, it feels so good. I've missed boxing so much (I know I keep saying this but it's true). I've missed the sound. I've missed the feeling of the impact. And working out is fun again! Score one for me! I've already boxed three times over the past several days. My goal is to find a buddy two or three times a week. I'll never have the body I had back then, but I'm ok with that. I have no desire to workout for hours each day or to give up food. I really just want to be healthy and to enjoy the exercise that helps me get there. It feels good after such a long break. To be refocused and to have a plan to make it happen again.

We should all strive to find something that we enjoy that will make us feel good about ourselves. Is there something you've been putting off? What needs I happen to get started?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished