7/28/16

The Hardest Part




Five years ago, I had no need or desire to ever work again. The same is not true today. This week has been a tough week at work. Very long hours, late hours, on call overnight, and the stress that goes along with all of this.

One thing that occurred to me yesterday. Yes, I'm tired of this schedule. I'm tired of getting home in time for bed, to wake up at normal time (I can't sleep in anymore) then go to work late. But I like working. I like what I do. It is challenging. There is definitely frustrating aspects to what I do. But I am so thankful for a job that I like to go to (Monday through Friday, from 8-5. Haha!)

The hardest part about being a working mom, is nothing shocking. It's the mom part. I've talked about this before. And it's all still true. School/activity schedules, days off, parental involvement in the kids academic world, all has to work around my Monday through Friday work schedule. I have a little flexibility and can attend some things for my kiddos during the day and for that I am grateful. But it's not the same as when I was home. I took my kids to school and picked them up after. Packed lunches. Volunteered in the classrooms. Went on field trips. Things I did for the fun and experiences. Now I feel stressed when I'm asked to send something in for a class party. I want to help, but it's just "one more thing" I have to get done. Usually I do it, but it's a burden, not a pleasure.

Not working is no longer an option for me. And I'm happy to say, I'm ok with that. I just wish there was some way to be a working mom without all the guilt and missing out on so much where my kids are concerned. Again, I know this is not a new problem and I imagine all working moms are very familiar with the struggle. It's just something that's on my mind right now. In a few weeks, my oldest begins middle school and my youngest starts her final year in elementary school. It is all going so fast. I am so blessed to be a mom. And grateful for a job that I like to go to each day.

Working moms, what is your biggest struggle? How do you work around it?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished